Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Architectural Discourse

View as Grid List
Sort by

Housing constructed using the YDG (Yorkshire Development Group) system, Moor Lane, Nottingham

RIBA15736
Richardson, Martin Barrington Newman (1929-2001)
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep. This image appeared on p. 163. The Yorkshire Development Group was set up in 1962 to serve the housing needs of Leeds, Sheffield, Hull and Nottingham. Martin Richardson was the development architect for the group which developed a range of deck access dwelling plans and a medium-rise high-density concrete housing system.

House and guesthouse for Richard Rogers' parents, 22 Parkside, Wimbledon, London: the living room

RIBA15738
Richard & Su Rogers
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Low-rise housing, Lensbury Way, Lesnes, Thamesmead, Greenwich, London: a resident relaxing on his balcony

RIBA15745
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, September 1970. Thamesmead was planned in 1965-1966 as a new town on the riverside marshes of south-east London between Plumstead and Erith. It was scheduled for completion in 1974 but was never fully finished and the projected population of 60,000 for the new town was downgraded to 45,000 by the end of the 1970s. From then around 400 houses were being built annually and by 1982, the population stood at 20,000. Since 2014 the managment and regeneration of the area has come under the aegis of Peabody.

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London

RIBA15747
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: looking down on an eight-storey block

RIBA15748
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: the upper level walkways, shopping centre and one of the playgrounds

RIBA15749
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: low-rise and high-rise housing

RIBA15750
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Becontree housing estate, Dagenham, London

RIBA15757
Forrest, George Topham (1872-1945)
NOTES: This image is one of many taken for the Architectural Review's 'Manplan 8: Housing' issue of September 1970 for which Ray-Jones was the guest photographer. This image appeared on pp. 138-139. The Becontree Estate was one of the largest interwar council estates built by the London County Council. In 1919 the government approved the plans for 29,000 new homes to house 145,000 residents. The finished estate, by 1939 comprised 26,000 homes and housed a population of 120,000.

Terraced houses, Dunstan Road, Old Headington, Oxford

RIBA15758
Ahrends Burton & Koralek
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Housing at The Brow, Runcorn, Cheshire

RIBA15768
Runcorn Development Corporation Architects Department
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep. Runcorn New Town was designated on 10 April 1964, with the aim of providing housing and jobs for the people of North Merseyside and Liverpool in particular. The Runcorn Development Corporation (RDC) was formally appointed on 30 April 1964 and the draft Master Plan for the New Town was prepared by Arthur Ling and Associates and approved in 1968. The RDC operated until 1981 when it was dissolved and its functions, property, rights and liabilities were transferred to Warrington Development Corporation which was renamed Warrington and Runcorn Development Corporation.

De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill-on-Sea: the sea-facing frontage and the glass-enclosed staircase

RIBA15809
Chermayeff, Serge (1900-1996)
NOTES: This photograph comes from the archive of Sir Anthony Wakefield Cox (1915-1993).

Phase 1, Priory Green Estate (formerly known as the Busaco Street Estate), Collier Street, Finsbury, London: view from the south-east of three of the four parallel four-storey blocks showing the chequer motif facades

RIBA17130
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1955. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.

Isokon Flats, Lawn Road, Hampstead, London: the south-east front

RIBA17848
Coates, Wells Wintemute (1895-1958)

Mosque, New Gourna

RIBA18209
Fathy, Hassan (1900-1989)

Park Hill Estate, Sheffield: close-up of a bridge connection

RIBA18230
Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department
NOTES: Built between 1957 and 1961, this mixed high-density and controversial housing development was planned and designed by Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department led by J. L. Womersley.

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: the 24-storey tower block seen from the Royal Victoria Yard

RIBA19066
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: the 24-storey tower block seen from a neighbouring Georgian street

RIBA19067
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
Close
)
CLOSE