Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Architectural Discourse

View as Grid List
Sort by

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: the upper level walkways, shopping centre and one of the playgrounds

RIBA15749
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: low-rise and high-rise housing

RIBA15750
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Becontree housing estate, Dagenham, London

RIBA15757
Forrest, George Topham (1872-1945)
NOTES: This image is one of many taken for the Architectural Review's 'Manplan 8: Housing' issue of September 1970 for which Ray-Jones was the guest photographer. This image appeared on pp. 138-139. The Becontree Estate was one of the largest interwar council estates built by the London County Council. In 1919 the government approved the plans for 29,000 new homes to house 145,000 residents. The finished estate, by 1939 comprised 26,000 homes and housed a population of 120,000.

De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill-on-Sea: the sea-facing frontage and the glass-enclosed staircase

RIBA15809
Chermayeff, Serge (1900-1996)
NOTES: This photograph comes from the archive of Sir Anthony Wakefield Cox (1915-1993).

Hasht Behesht pavilion, Isfahan: detail of the decoration from the entrance arch to the lantern

RIBA16042
SOURCE: Pascal-Xavier Coste. Monuments modernes de la Perse (Paris, 1867), plate XXXIX-XL NOTES: Coste (an architect and artist) and painter Eugene Flaudin were part of a diplomatic mission to Persia (now Iran) in 1839. They remained for two years recording the monuments and architecture of the country. In 1844 the book ÔÇÿMonument historiques de la PerseÔÇÖ was published, comprising their drawings of works from earliest times to the end of the Sassanid dynasty in the 7th century. Coste prepared an album of their work from that journey which covered the period from the beginnings of Islam in Persia to the reign of Fath-Ali Shah at the end of the 18th century. The work published in 1867, ÔÇÿMonuments modernes de la PerseÔÇÖ, is the published result of that album.

Phase 1, Priory Green Estate (formerly known as the Busaco Street Estate), Collier Street, Finsbury, London: view from the south-east of three of the four parallel four-storey blocks showing the chequer motif facades

RIBA17130
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1955. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.

Phase 1, Priory Green Estate (formerly known as the Busaco Street Estate), Collier Street, Finsbury, London: Kendal House, the principal block

RIBA17131
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1957. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.

Isokon Flats, Lawn Road, Hampstead, London: the south-east front

RIBA17848
Coates, Wells Wintemute (1895-1958)

Bungalow at Richmond, North Yorkshire

RIBA17853
Clarke-Hall, Denis Lucien (1910-2006)

Church of Notre Dame, Le Raincy, Paris

RIBA17973
Perret, Auguste (1874-1954)

Mosque, New Gourna

RIBA18209
Fathy, Hassan (1900-1989)

Park Hill Estate, Sheffield

RIBA18221
Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department
NOTES: Built between 1957 and 1961, this mixed high-density and controversial housing development was planned and designed by Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department led by J. L. Womersley.

Park Hill Estate, Sheffield: close-up of an access deck

RIBA18223
Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department
NOTES: Built between 1957 and 1961, this mixed high-density and controversial housing development was planned and designed by Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department led by J. L. Womersley.

Park Hill Estate, Sheffield: close-up of a bridge connection

RIBA18230
Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department
NOTES: Built between 1957 and 1961, this mixed high-density and controversial housing development was planned and designed by Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department led by J. L. Womersley.

Park Hill Estate, Sheffield: a typical bridge connection between blocks

RIBA18231
Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department
NOTES: Built between 1957 and 1961, this mixed high-density and controversial housing development was planned and designed by Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department led by J. L. Womersley.

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: the 24-storey tower block seen from the Royal Victoria Yard

RIBA19066
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design

Pepys Estate, Deptford, London: the 24-storey tower block seen from a neighbouring Georgian street

RIBA19067
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
)
CLOSE