SOURCE: Graham Hutton and Edwin Smith. English Parish Churches (London: Thames and Hudson, 1952), pl. 1 NOTES: The present church is thought to date back to the 10-11th century. although there was a monastery on the site from 705. It was converted into a school and cottage in the 18th century and largely forgotten, until rediscovered in 1856. It was later restored to ecclesiastical use from 1874-1880
NOTES: It was built on the "Panopticon" design to enable the "separate system" to be used for 700 prisoners in individual cells, each with toilet facilities. The main part of the prison, having 4 wings radiating from the centre, was for male prisoners with a smaller separate building for females: two further wings were added in 1856.