NOTES: The tower and the shell of the nave are Saxon dating c. 675. It was probably damaged during Danish raids in the late 8th century and early 9th century, necessitating some later rebuilding. It is one of the most important examples of early Anglo-Saxon architecture in Northern Europe.
NOTES: This round Norman church was built by Simon de Senlis, Earl of Northampton, on his return from the First Crusade to the Holy Land. The inspiration its construction came from the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. It is one of the five surviving round churches in England. A nave, chancel and aisles were later added to the east of the round church between c.1180 and c.1330. The church was extensively restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1860-1864.
NOTES: This cruciform church was built mainly between the end of the 13th century and the middle of the 14th in Decorated style. The nave arcades were completed between 1320 and 1340. The spire and the east window were added by 1400.
NOTES: This former mosque became a place of Christian worship in 1236 when Cordoba was captured from the Moors by King Ferdinand III of Castile and the cathedral was built inside it largely in the 1520s.
NOTES Designed in 1898 by William Young and completed in 1906 by his son, Clyde Young, this neo-Baroque style building housed the War Office from 1906 until its abolition in 1964. It has since been occupied by the Ministry of Defence.