Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Arcades

View as Grid List
Sort by

All Saints, Brixworth, Northamptonshire: the nave seen from east to west

RIBA6966
NOTES: The tower and the shell of the nave are Saxon dating c. 675. It was probably damaged during Danish raids in the late 8th century and early 9th century, necessitating some later rebuilding. It is one of the most important examples of early Anglo-Saxon architecture in Northern Europe.

St Kyneburgha, Castor, Northamptonshire: detail of the upper storey of the Norman west tower and the Gothic broach spire

RIBA6968
NOTES: This significant cruciform Norman parish church was dedicated in 1124. The broach spire was added to the Norman tower c.1350.

Holy Sepulchre, Sheep Street, Northampton: the original round nave

RIBA6971
Scott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
NOTES: This round Norman church was built by Simon de Senlis, Earl of Northampton, on his return from the First Crusade to the Holy Land. The inspiration its construction came from the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. It is one of the five surviving round churches in England. A nave, chancel and aisles were later added to the east of the round church between c.1180 and c.1330. The church was extensively restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1860-1864.

St Mary the Virgin, Knox Road, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire

RIBA6972
Comper, Sir John Ninian (1864-1960)
NOTES: Designed by Sir John Ninian Comper, construction on this church began with the north chapel in 1908 and ended with the chancel in 1930.

St Andrew, Lyddington, Rutland: the Perpendicular arcading in the nave

RIBA6978
NOTES: This church is largely Decorated in style with extensive Perpendicular remodelling. The tower and chancel are 14th century. The nave and aisles were rebuilt c.1500 by the Bishops of Lincoln.

St Patrick, Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire: detail of the clustered piers of the nave arcade

RIBA6987
NOTES: This cruciform church was built mainly between the end of the 13th century and the middle of the 14th in Decorated style. The nave arcades were completed between 1320 and 1340. The spire and the east window were added by 1400.

Tintern Abbey, Monmouthshire

RIBA7036
NOTES: Built between 1136 and 1536 and located on the Welsh bank of the River Wye, Tintern was the second Cistercian foundation in Britain and the first in Wales.

National Provincial Bank of England, Birmingham

RIBA7194
Cockerell, Charles Robert (1788-1863)
NOTES: John Gibson rebuilt the bank originally designed by Charles Robert Cockerell in 1833.

Great Mosque (Mezquita), Cordoba: the forest of columns

RIBA7278
NOTES: This former mosque became a place of Christian worship in 1236 when Cordoba was captured from the Moors by King Ferdinand III of Castile and the cathedral was built inside it largely in the 1520s.

New War Office, Horse Guards Avenue, London: the principal staircase

RIBA7581
Young, Clyde Francis (1871-1948)
NOTES Designed in 1898 by William Young and completed in 1906 by his son, Clyde Young, this neo-Baroque style building housed the War Office from 1906 until its abolition in 1964. It has since been occupied by the Ministry of Defence.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE