Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Arcades

View as Grid List
Sort by

St John the Baptist, Thaxted, Essex: the nave looking towards the east end

RIBA6786
NOTES: Construction on this church began in 1340 and was completed in 1510.

St Peter and St Paul, East Harling, Norfolk: the nave with hammer-beam roof seen from the chancel

RIBA6794
NOTES: Construction on this church began c.1300 and was completed in Gothic style by 1450.

St Nicholas, Salthouse, Norfolk: the south arcade and baptismal font

RIBA6807
NOTES: The nave and chancel were rebuilt in Perpendicular style by Sir Henry Heydon of Baconsthorpe at the end of the 15th century. The tower in Decorated style is the remains of an earlier structure.To be safe from floods, it was constructed as high as possible from the marsh and sea below and also acted as a lantern to ships at sea.

St Peter and St Paul, Swaffham, Norfolk: the hammer-beam roof and clerestory windows

RIBA6809
Milne, William Oswald (1847-1927)
NOTES: The church was heavily restored, including the roof in 1888-1895 by William Milne.

Wymondham Abbey, Norfolk: the nave, formerly the south aisle of the abbey, looking towards the reredos by Sir Ninian Comper

RIBA6818
Comper, Sir John Ninian (1864-1960)
NOTES: This, the former monastery church of the Benedictine abbey of Wymondham (originally a priory and raised to the status of abbey in 1448), was completed c. 1130. The abbey was dissolved in 1538 and the bell tower and the whole of the eastern part of the church, together with the monastic buildings, fell into ruin. The south aisle was recovered towards the end of the 16th century and thereafter served as the parish church, dedicated to St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury. The Perpendicular angel roof and clerestory were added in the 15th century. The reredos by Sir Ninian Comper was dedicated in 1921 as a war memorial.

St Edmund, Southwold, Suffolk: the nave seen from the font

RIBA6842
Howard, Frank Ernest (1888-1934)
NOTES: This church was built in perpendicular style c.1450-1500. The 24 foot tall canopied font cover is a replacment of the original destoyed in 1643. It was designed in Gothic Revival style by the ecclesiastical architect, Frank Ernest Howard, and installed in 1935.

St Mary, Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk: the nave

RIBA6843
NOTES: This large Perpendicular church was built mainly in 1421-1481.

St James, Muswell, Hill, London: the nave

RIBA6852
Adler, J. S.
NOTES: This church was designed by J S Adler in 1898 and built in 1900-1902. It was restored following damage during World War II by Caroe & Partners.

Chapel of St John the Evangelist in the White Tower, Tower of London

RIBA6863
NOTES: Built in the 1080s for William the Conqueror by Gandalf, Bishop of Rochester, this chapel was where the royal family and the court worshipped and where the knights of the Order of the Bath spent their vigil the night before a coronation.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE