NOTES: The nave and chancel were rebuilt in Perpendicular style by Sir Henry Heydon of Baconsthorpe at the end of the 15th century. The tower in Decorated style is the remains of an earlier structure.To be safe from floods, it was constructed as high as possible from the marsh and sea below and also acted as a lantern to ships at sea.
NOTES: This, the former monastery church of the Benedictine abbey of Wymondham (originally a priory and raised to the status of abbey in 1448), was completed c. 1130. The abbey was dissolved in 1538 and the bell tower and the whole of the eastern part of the church, together with the monastic buildings, fell into ruin. The south aisle was recovered towards the end of the 16th century and thereafter served as the parish church, dedicated to St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury. The Perpendicular angel roof and clerestory were added in the 15th century. The reredos by Sir Ninian Comper was dedicated in 1921 as a war memorial.
NOTES: This church was built in perpendicular style c.1450-1500. The 24 foot tall canopied font cover is a replacment of the original destoyed in 1643. It was designed in Gothic Revival style by the ecclesiastical architect, Frank Ernest Howard, and installed in 1935.
NOTES: Built in the 1080s for William the Conqueror by Gandalf, Bishop of Rochester, this chapel was where the royal family and the court worshipped and where the knights of the Order of the Bath spent their vigil the night before a coronation.