Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Arcades

View as Grid List
Sort by

Southwell Minster, Nottinghamshire: blind arcading in the chapter house

RIBA5638
NOTES: Considered an outstanding example of Norman and Early English architecture, this church was built between 1120 and 1286. It became the Cathedral Church of Nottinghamshire in 1884. Extensive restoration, which included the rebuilding of the nave roof, was undertaken by Ewan Christian in 1851-1888.

Wells Cathedral, Somerset: the nave and chancel

RIBA5647
NOTES: Construction on the original cathedral began in 1180 and was completed by the Lady Chapel in 1326. The nave was completed in 1220-1229. The scissor-arches (inverted strainer arches) were built c. 1338-1348 to support the tower when the foundations of the two western piers sank into the ground.

St Mary, Woburn, Bedfordshire

RIBA6678
Clutton, Henry (1819-1893)
NOTES: This church on the Bedford estate was designed for the 8th Duke of Bedford by the Bedford estate architect, Henry Clutton, in 1868.

All Saints, Faringdon, Oxfordshire: the nave seen through an arcade

RIBA6682
NOTES: This large, cruciform church is mostly 12th and 13th century.

Holy Trinity, Theale, Berkshire

RIBA6685
Garbett, Edward William
NOTES: Garbett closely modelled this church on Salisbury Cathedral. It is considered an important example of the pre-Victorian church in Gothic Revival style.

St George's Chapel, Windsor: the organ loft seen from the nave

RIBA6686
Janyns, Henry (fl. 1453-1483)
NOTES: Construction on the chapel was begun by Edward IV in 1475 under the direction of the master mason, Henry Janyns, and was completed during the reign of Henry VIII in 1528. The present organ loft was built during restoration works in the reign of King George III. The design was by Henry Emlyn and sits on a screen constructed from an artificial stone called Coade.

St Michael, Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire: the Early English chancel screen in oak

RIBA6733
NOTES: This cruciform church dates from c.1130. The chancel was rebuilt c.1260.

St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden, Essex: the nave seen from the choir

RIBA6777
NOTES: The original Norman church of 1130 was rebuilt and enlarged in Decorated style in 1250-1258. General rebuilding in Perpendicular style began in 1450, and the church is considered to be one of the finest churches in the county of Essex.

St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden, Essex: the north aisle

RIBA6779
NOTES: The original Norman church of 1130 was rebuilt and enlarged in Decorated style in 1250-1258. General rebuilding in Perpendicular style began in 1450, and the church is considered to be one of the finest churches in the county of Essex.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE