NOTES: This drawing is by an unidentified Spanish architect some time between 1734 and 1841. Noria are machines designed to lift water into an aqueduct using energy derived from the water's flow. This example appears to use horse-operated wheels.
NOTES: The Grand Union Canal, linking London with the industrial Midlands, was built for The Canal Company between 1793 and 1805. William Jessop was the chief engineer for The Canal Company and decided to cross the valley with an aqueduct thus avoiding the need to build a number of expensive locks. The acqueduct was designed by Benjamin Bevan of Leighton Buzzard, another engineer with the company, and it was manufactured by Reynolds and Company at their Ketley Iron Works in the West Midlands.
NOTES: This marble sarcophagus fountain lies between Via Condotti and Via Frattina. It was commissioned by Prince Don Marino Torlonia and was added to the front of Palazzo Torlonia on Via Bocca di Leone during its rennovation. Fontana Bocca di Leone (1842) built by Antonio Sarti. Located on via Bocca di Leone, which is a small street connecting the via dei Condotti and via Frattina in the shopping district.
NOTES: Built by the Emperor Nero in 54-68 AD, this aqueduct drew water from the Aqua Claudia and brought it into Nero's imperial palace, the Domus Aurea. It followed the underground path of the Aqua Appia Aqueduct towards the Colosseum valley by crossing as an arched aqueduct the Caelian Hill.