NOTES: While working on King Edward VI Grammar School, Birmingham, Barry collaborated for the first time with Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin and the stonecarver J. Thomas, who were later to work with him on the Houses of Parliament.
NOTES: This drawing was produced to illustrate a publication or paper entitled 'Egyptian antiquities chiefly in architecture'. The annotation explains that this sculpture was previously placed beside the Fontana di Termini in Rome.
NOTES: In addition to being a landscape and architectural painter, lithographer and archaeologist, Bouet was also appointed Inspecteur de la Societe Francaise d'Archeologie. This drawing is one of a number of topographical studies and details of French, German, Italian and Swiss medieval architecture executed by him between around 1850 and 1865.
NOTES: The shelter consisted of a concrete canopy supported on slender steel columns, with provision made for cover, toilets and kiosk. It was designed to be one small element in a network of interacting structures positioned along the main pedestrian thoroughfares of the zoo. However, other elements in the scheme were abandoned as Tecton's main supporter on the zoo council, Julian Huxley, became increasingly isolated from his colleagues. Once Huxley had resigned the Zoological Society took the opportunity to demolish the structure.