Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Animals

View as Grid List
Sort by

Designs for King Edward VI Grammar School, New Street, Birmingham: details of decorative carved paterae depicting a winged lion and a griffin-like creature

RIBA21044
Barry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
NOTES: While working on King Edward VI Grammar School, Birmingham, Barry collaborated for the first time with Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin and the stonecarver J. Thomas, who were later to work with him on the Houses of Parliament.

Study of a carved basalt lion sculpture, one of a pair known as the lions of Pharaoh Nectanebo I, The Vatican, Rome

RIBA21334
NOTES: This drawing was produced to illustrate a publication or paper entitled 'Egyptian antiquities chiefly in architecture'. The annotation explains that this sculpture was previously placed beside the Fontana di Termini in Rome.

Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, Ravenna: study of relief carving

RIBA22354
NOTES: In addition to being a landscape and architectural painter, lithographer and archaeologist, Bouet was also appointed Inspecteur de la Societe Francaise d'Archeologie. This drawing is one of a number of topographical studies and details of French, German, Italian and Swiss medieval architecture executed by him between around 1850 and 1865.

A zoo warden feeding a peacock by the shelter and kiosk, Whipsnade Zoo

RIBA24689
Lubetkin & Tecton
NOTES: The shelter consisted of a concrete canopy supported on slender steel columns, with provision made for cover, toilets and kiosk. It was designed to be one small element in a network of interacting structures positioned along the main pedestrian thoroughfares of the zoo. However, other elements in the scheme were abandoned as Tecton's main supporter on the zoo council, Julian Huxley, became increasingly isolated from his colleagues. Once Huxley had resigned the Zoological Society took the opportunity to demolish the structure.

Duomo, Ferrara: one of the two supporting columns of the porch with a telamon seated on a lion clutching a lamb at its base

RIBA25485
NOTES: This cathedral between is also known as the Basilica Cattedrale di San Giorgio and it was consecrated in 1135.

The beginning of the Appian Way, Rome

RIBA25590
NOTES: The Appian Way connected Rome to Brindisi in Puglia and was the first of the great consular roads to be built. The main part was started and finished in 312 BC.

Basilica of San Marco, Venice: the bronze horses on the facade

RIBA26640
NOTES: The origin of the bronze horses is uncertain but they are thought to have been part of a Roman quadriga.
Close
)
CLOSE