NOTES: The original church was part of the Benedictine Monastery founded in 748 by Bishop Burkard. The church was rebuilt in 1033 after a fire in 1000. The narthex was added in 1168 and the two towers in 1249. In the 1663-1667 the west choir and transept was demolished and work on the east choir and transept was completed. The nave and choir were damaged during the Second World War, but the church survived mostly intact and re-opened in 1950.
NOTES: The church dates mainly from the 14th and early 15th century, although there is 13th-century work in the west tower. The interior, except the chancel which is early Tudor, was remodelled in 1617. In the 19th century the church underwent restoration, by J. P. St Aubyn c. 1877-1883, with restoration of the tower in 1898-1899 by Detmar Blow.
NOTES: The oldest parts of the church date from c. 1380-1390, but between c. 1467 and 1507 a major rebuilding took place. In 1701 the tower was struck by lightning, rebuilt 1712-1725 and later added to and encased in flint and stone by the architect G. F. Bodley, 1897-1903. The interior of the church was restored in 1867-1869 by Henry Woodyer, the nave roof and clerestory having been restored in 1828.