Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Almshouses

View as Grid List
Sort by

Drapers' Almshouses, Bromley-by-Bow, London, prior to restoration: the chapel front

RIBA115883
NOTES: The Drapers' Almshouses were built in 1707 with monies left to the company by a Mr John Edmunson, sailmaker. Originally the almshouses covered three sides of a quadrangle, with six houses on each side (east and west) with a central block of four containing the chapel. It is this block which survived into the twentieth century albeit in very poor repair. This was acquired by the Greater London Council in 1947 and eventually restored (with a grant from them) by Anthony Richardson & Partners in 1982.

Drapers' Almshouses, Bromley-by-Bow, London, prior to restoration

RIBA115884
NOTES: The Drapers' Almshouses were built in 1707 with monies left to the company by a Mr John Edmunson, sailmaker. Originally the almshouses covered three sides of a quadrangle, with six houses on each side (east and west) with a central block of four containing the chapel. It is this block which survived into the twentieth century albeit in very poor repair. This was acquired by the Greater London Council in 1947 and eventually restored (with a grant from them) by Anthony Richardson & Partners in 1982.

Drapers' Almshouses, Bromley-by-Bow, London, prior to restoration

RIBA115885
NOTES: The Drapers' Almshouses were built in 1707 with monies left to the company by a Mr John Edmunson, sailmaker. Originally the almshouses covered three sides of a quadrangle, with six houses on each side (east and west) with a central block of four containing the chapel. It is this block which survived into the twentieth century albeit in very poor repair. This was acquired by the Greater London Council in 1947 and eventually restored (with a grant from them) by Anthony Richardson & Partners in 1982.

Chafyn-Grove Cottages, Zeals, Wiltshire, under construction

RIBA135597
Devey, George (1820-1886)
NOTES: The cottages were a terrace of almshouses in Tudor style which Devey designed for William Chafyn-Grove.

Royal Hospital, Chelsea: the East Road showing Wren's red brick pavilion on the far left with Soane's brick screen to the yellow brick gardener's house on the right

RIBA154203
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
NOTES: In 1807 Soane was appointed Clerk of Works to the Royal Hospital at Chelsea. He supervised and carried out work on the hospital over the next thirty years.

Royal Hospital, Chelsea: the west front of the stables by Soane

RIBA154204
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
NOTES: In 1807 Soane was appointed Clerk of Works to the Royal Hospital at Chelsea. He supervised and carried out work on the hospital over the next thirty years.

Royal Hospital, Chelsea: the entrance arch of the stables by Soane

RIBA154205
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
NOTES: In 1807 Soane was appointed Clerk of Works to the Royal Hospital at Chelsea. He supervised and carried out work on the hospital over the next thirty years.

Royal Hospital, Chelsea: the gardener's cottage

RIBA154206
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
NOTES: In 1807 Soane was appointed Clerk of Works to the Royal Hospital at Chelsea. He supervised and carried out work on the hospital over the next thirty years.

Royal Hospital, Chelsea: new whistler's was house and surgeon's apartment on the West Road by Soane

RIBA154207
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
NOTES: In 1807 Soane was appointed Clerk of Works to the Royal Hospital at Chelsea. He supervised and carried out work on the hospital over the next thirty years.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE