Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Almshouses

View as Grid List
Sort by

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the Master's Court and the Great Hall

RIBA102041
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget. The range with the Great Hall was built 1545-1564 by Lord North.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the Master's Court and Great Hall

RIBA102042
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget. The range with the Great Hall was built 1545-1564 by Lord North.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the Master's Court and Great Hall

RIBA102043
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget. The range with the Great Hall was built 1545-1564 by Lord North.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the entrance to the Great Hall, seen from the entrance gateway

RIBA102044
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget. The range with the Great Hall was built 1545-1564 by Lord North.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the entrance court gateway

RIBA102045
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the Great Hall with the screens passage to the left

RIBA102046
Seely & Paget
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Pagett in the 1950s, notably the interior of the Great Hall seen here. The screens passage has been dated to 1571.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the screens passage in the Great Hall

RIBA102047
Seely & Paget
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget in the 1950s, notably the interior of the Great Hall seen here. The screens passage has been dated to 1571.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the Great Hall looking towards the screens passage

RIBA102048
Seely & Paget
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget in the 1950s, notably the interior of the Great Hall seen here. The screens passage is dated to 1571.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the fireplace in the Great Hall with Thomas Sutton's coat of arms

RIBA102049
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget. The range with the Great Hall was built 1545-1564 by Lord North.The fireplace of Caen stone was installed in 1614 and has Sutton's coat of arms at its centre.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: detail of the fireplace in the Great Hall showing Thomas Sutton's coat of arms

RIBA102050
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget. The range with the Great Hall was built 1545-1564 by Lord North.The fireplace of Caen stone was installed in 1614 and has Sutton's coat of arms at its centre.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE