During the 1940s simple forms and new methods of construction were ideally suited to wartime conditions, producing highly practical buildings, air hangers, bus stations, etc. Gropius’s ideas on standardisation included prefabrication were remarkably prescient, as such techniques became widespread after the Second World War.
NOTES: C. H. Aslin was County Architect for Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1958 and a pioneer of twentieth century prefabricated design. This school, part of the Hertfordshire County Council school-building programme which he headed, was constructed using the unit planning system.
NOTES: This prefabricated steel-framed house was designed by Grey Wornum and Richard Sheppard in the early 1940s and was manufactured by Keyhouse Unibuilt. This example never went beyond its prototype stage.
Hertfordshire County Council. Architects Department
NOTES: This village school replaced one that had been bombed and was built with the help of unrepatriated prisoners of war. Part of the Hertfordshire County Council pioneering school-building programme, it is one of its earliest schools to be completed after World War II. Bill Henderson and Dan Lacey were the job architects.