Water Gardens, Harlow, Essex: the lower canal of the top terrace with concrete abstracted 'lions head' bas reliefs disgorging water designed by William Mitchell
|Architect/Designer||Crowe, Dame Sylvia (1901-1997)|
|Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)|
|Harlow Development Corporation. Architects' Department|
|Mitchell, William George(1925-)|
|Artist/Photographer||Snoek, Henk (1915-1980)|
|Library Reference||S63 3634|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Henk Snoek / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Town planning ; New towns ; Water features ; Gardens|
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain. The Water Gardens were designed by Frederick Gibberd with Gerry Perrin of Harlow Development Corporation Architect's Department in 1958-1959 and were completed in 1963. Sylvia Crowe advised on the layout and planting of the gardens.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.