St Katharine Docks redevelopment, London: the south arm of Ivory House at quay level being converted for commercial use
|Aitchison, George (1825-1910)
|Renton Howard Wood Associates
|Lambert, Sam (1927-1981)
|AP Box 189 St Katharine (Lambert 72305/6 )
|Black and white
|Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
|Brickwork ; Warehouses ; Conversion of buildings ; Construction sites ; Arcades ; Docks
NOTES: Part of the Port of London and built in 1825-1828 by the St Katharine Dock Company, this was the smallest group of London's enclosed docks. Thomas Telford engineered the docks while Philip Hardwick designed the quayside warehouses. The docks closed in 1968 and were sold to the Greater London Council (GLC). A competition for its redevelopment was held - the conditions of which excluded office buildings and required the retention of the three surviving historically valuable warehouses - and was won by The Taylor Woodrow Group with a design by Renton Howard Wood Associates.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.