Shot Tower, boating-pool and riverside pavilions, Festival of Britain, South Bank, London
|Architect/Designer||Casson, Sir Hugh Maxwell (1910-1999)|
|Gooday, Leslie (1921-2013)|
|Library Reference||Gooday LS|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Subject||Water features ; Riverside buildings ; Lighthouses ; Exhibition buildings ; Rivers ; Exhibitions|
NOTES: Hugh Casson, with Leslie Gooday as assistant, was responsible for the design of the boating-pool and leisure area. The Shot Tower, designed by David Riddal Roper, was built for Thomas Maltby & Company in 1826 and remained in use for the production of lead shot balls until 1949, after which it was incorporated into the scheme for the 1951 Festival of Britain on the South Bank of the River Thames. In 1950 the top of the tower was removed and a steel-framed superstructure was added instead, providing a radio beacon for the duration of the Festival. It was demolished after the Festival to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which opened in 1967.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.