Royal Festival Hall and the Shot Tower, Festival of Britain, South Bank, London, seen from the Unicorn Cafe
|Architect/Designer||Goodden, Robert Yorke (1909-2002)|
|London County Council. Architects Department|
|Russell, Sir Gordon (1892-1980)|
|Artist/Photographer||Galwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Exhibition buildings ; Riverside buildings ; Cafeterias ; Canopies ; Concert halls ; Exhibitions ; Towers|
NOTES: The Shot Tower, designed by David Riddal Roper, was built for Thomas Maltby & Company in 1826 and remained in use for the production of lead shot balls until 1949, after which it was incorporated into the scheme for the 1951 Festival of Britain on the South Bank of the River Thames. In 1950 the top of the tower was removed and a steel-framed superstructure was added instead, providing a radio beacon for the duration of the Festival. It was demolished after the Festival to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which opened in 1967. The Architects Department of the London Council Council designed the Royal Festival Hall and Gooden & Russell designed the Unicorn Cafe.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.