Rebuilding of the Temple Church, The Temple, London: craftsmen at work in the nave
|Architect/Designer||Carden & Godfrey|
|Artist/Photographer||Smith, Edwin (1912-1971)|
|Library Reference||ESP/CHU/1355 (ES297.3 or .8)|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Churches ; Marble ; Columns ; Windows ; Workers ; Church fittings ; Restoration|
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The rebuilding was supervised by Walter Hindes Godfrey of Carden & Godfrey between 1947 and 1957. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.