Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Priory Green Estate extension (now Priory Heights), Wynford Street, Finsbury, London: detail of the facade of one of the blocks

RIBA Ref No RIBA49550
Architect/DesignerSkinner Bailey & Lubetkin
Tecton
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1957
Image Date1957
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference5068/69 (MAL32482)
OrientationLandscape
Colour InfoBlack and white
CreditRIBA Collections
SubjectWindows ; Balconies ; Flats ; Housing
NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1957. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.
*

Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.

+ -
*
*
*
Customers who bought this item also bought

Phase 1, Priory Green Estate (formerly known as the Busaco Street Estate), Collier Street, Finsbury, London: entrance to the communal laundry

RIBA49525
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1957. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.

La Butte-Rouge garden city, Chatenay-Malabry: flats on place Francois-Simiand with the lake in front

RIBA70959
Sirvin, Paul (1871-1977)
NOTES: La Butte-Rouge is one the biggest interwar social mass housing schemes in the environs of Paris. Situated 12 km south of the city, it was the brainchild of Henri Sellier, director of the Office public d'habitations de la Siene. Originally conceived in 1919 by the architects Joseph Bassompiere and Paul de Rutte as part of the Paris extension plan, construction didn't start until 1929, continued up till the mid 1930s and did not resume until after the second world war. Although influenced by the early garden city movement, the layout here was made more formal with a hierarchy of roadways and public squares. Planting was important and the landscape architect responsible for the overall scheme was Andre Riousse, with the architect Paul Sirvin helping to implement the designs of Bassompiere and de Rutte.
)
CLOSE