Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Middlesex County Lunatic Asylum, Colney Hatch, London

RIBA Ref No RIBA16795
Architect/DesignerDaukes, Samuel Whitfield (1811-1880)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1851
Image Date1851
ViewAerial
StyleItalianate
MediumPrint
Library ReferencePeriodicals
OrientationLandscape
Colour InfoBlack and white
CreditRIBA Collections
SubjectHospitals
SOURCE: Builder, vol. 9, 1851 July 5, after p. 420
*

Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.

+ -
*
*
*
Customers who bought this item also bought

Designs for additions to the County Lunatic Asylum (later St Lawrence's Hospital), Westheath Avenue, Bodmin: ground and first floor plans and front elevation of the superintendent's house or administration block added to the Radial Building

RIBA83215
Wightwick, George (1802-1872)
NOTES: The additions to John Foulston's Radial Building by Wightwick opened in 1844 and comprise the superintendent's house or administration block and the three-storey block behind known as the High Building. The Radial Building and administration block still exist, converted into residences. This design is one of a number of drawings bound into five volumes entitled 'Architectural works of George Wightwick', made between 1832 and 1850. Wightwick instructed his articled pupils to make this detailed set of retrospective drawings to illustrate every building of importance he had designed. The drawings were intended to serve both as a record of Wightwick's completed buildings and as a method of conveying to his students the design process from initial working design to finished structure.

District Lunatic Asylum, Falls Road, Belfast and the District Lunatic Asylum, Strand Road, Londonderry (Derry): front elevation

RIBA85313
Johnston, Francis (1760-1829)
NOTES: Both the Belfast and Londonderry (Derry) asylums were built to the same design, with the Belfast asylum opening on 1 May 1829 and the one in Londonderry (Derry) on 24 July 1829.

Design for an asylum for the care and cure of the insane, London

RIBA18837
Bevans, James (fl. 1814-1819)
SOURCE: House of Commons Select Committee appointed to consider of provision being made for the better regulation of madhouses in England. First, second, third, and fourth reports, from the Committee on Madhouses in England (London, 1819), pl. II

Designs for additions to the County Lunatic Asylum (later St Lawrence's Hospital), Westheath Avenue, Bodmin: elevation and transverse section of a new building for male patients (later called Williams House)

RIBA35595
Foulston, John (1772-1842)
NOTES: In 1846 Wightwick began designing a further building, this time for male patients only. It opened in 1849. Later called Williams House it is now converted into residences. This design is one of a number of drawings bound into five volumes entitled 'Architectural works of George Wightwick', made between 1832 and 1850. Wightwick instructed his articled pupils to make this detailed set of retrospective drawings to illustrate every building of importance he had designed. The drawings were intended to serve both as a record of Wightwick's completed buildings and as a method of conveying to his students the design process from initial working design to finished structure. Design for additions to the Pauper County Lunatic Asylum, Bodmin: plan showing John Foulston's original structure with added elements by George Wightwick.
Close
)
CLOSE