Look-outs over the river and the seaside parade with awning, Seaside Section, with Shot Tower in the background, Festival of Britain, South Bank, London
|Architect/Designer||Brown, Eric (1901-1995)|
|Chamberlin, Peter Hugh Girard (1919-1978)|
|Artist/Photographer||Millar & Harris|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Unusual structures ; Communications ; Exhibitions ; Nautical style ; Exhibition buildings ; Riverside buildings|
NOTES: The Shot Tower, designed by David Riddal Roper, was built for Thomas Maltby & Company in 1826 and remained in use for the production of lead shot balls until 1949, after which it was incorporated into the scheme for the 1951 Festival of Britain on the South Bank of the River Thames. In 1950 the top of the tower was removed and a steel-framed superstructure was added instead, providing a radio beacon for the duration of the Festival. It was demolished after the Festival to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which opened in 1967.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.