Horyu-ji Temple, Horyu-ji Sannai, Ikaruga-cho, Nara Prefecture: the western precinct seen from the Great South Gate with the pagoda (Goju-no-To) on the left, the main hall (Kondo) on the right and the Great Lecture hall (Daikodo) in the centre
Artist/Photographer Barr, John Country Japan City Ikararuga-cho Subject Date 600 Image Date 2019 View Exterior Medium Digital image Library Reference Barr 19-01-02 Orientation Square Colour Info Black and white Credit John Barr / RIBA Collections Subject Temples ; Halls ; Pagodas ; Timber construction
NOTES: Founded in the 7th century the Horyu-ji Buddhist Temple is considered to be one of the oldest extant wooden buildings in the world. It is also a UNESCO world heritage site. A massive restoration programme was begun in 1934 and not completed until 1985. The temple complex is made of two areas, the Sai-in in the west and the To-in in the east. It also encompasses a five-storey pagoda and the main hall, known as the Kondo, both located in the western half of the complex.
Licence Type --- Advertising And Promotion Editorial Display Digital Media Broadcast Merchandising Description Of Usage *
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.