Frederiksborg Castle, Hilllerod: close-up of the moat and entrance bridge leading to the central courtyard
|Artist/Photographer||Deakin, Ralph (1888-1952)|
|Library Reference||DK/D/13/2 (DKN/D/30)|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Moats ; Bridges ; Stone ; Museums ; Arcades ; Palaces ; Castles ; Lakes|
NOTES: Constructed on three islets in Lake Slotsso, this is the largest Renaissance palace in Scandinavia. The oldest parts of this castle were built in 1560 by Frederik II, while the majority of the present castle was built between 1600-1620 by his son, Christian IV in Dutch Renaissance style. It remained the principal royal residence until the eighteenth century. Much of the interior of the castle and two-thirds of the royal portrait collection was destroyed by fire in 1859. Its restoration was financed by J C Jacobsen, the Carlsberg brewer, on the condition that the castle became a museum. It became known as the National Museum of History in 1878 and houses the Royal Collections.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.