Designs for proposed alterations to the bishop's residence and clergy house (now Archibishop's House and Cathedral House) for St George's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Southwark, London: basement and ground floor plans for clergy house
Architect/Designer Walters, Frederick Arthur (1849-1931) Pugin, Augustus Welby Northmore (1812-1852) Country UK: England City London Subject Date 1898 Image Date 1898 View Plan Style Gothic Revival Medium Drawing Library Reference PA1160/1(16) Orientation Portrait Colour Info Colour Credit RIBA Collections Subject Religious Buildings ; Vicarages ; Cathedrals
NOTES: A. W. N. Pugin won a limited competition in 1839 to design a large Roman Catholic church in Southwark for the growing Irish population of the area with, in addition, a house for four clergy, and schools for 300 boys and 200 girls. The church was designated a cathedral in 1852. In the 1880s the bishop wished to expand the number of priests at the cathedral and the schools were removed to a new site and the old site used for a new episcopal residence and a clergy house, also including a seminary and convent, which were built to the designs of Frederick A. Walters incorporating parts of PuginÔÇÖs original buildings.
Licence Type --- Advertising And Promotion Editorial Display Digital Media Broadcast Merchandising Description Of Usage *
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.