Designs for bishop's residence and clergy house (now Archibishop's House and Cathedral House) for St George's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Southwark, London: 3rd floor plan and roof plan
|Architect/Designer||Walters, Frederick Arthur (1849-1931)|
|Pugin, Augustus Welby Northmore (1812-1852)|
|Subject||Religious Buildings ; Vicarages ; Cathedrals|
NOTES: A. W. N. Pugin won a limited competition in 1839 to design a large Roman Catholic church in Southwark for the growing Irish population of the area with, in addition, a house for four clergy, and schools for 300 boys and 200 girls. The church was designated a cathedral in 1852. In the 1880s the bishop wished to expand the number of priests at the cathedral and the schools were removed to a new site and the old site used for a new episcopal residence and a clergy house, also including a seminary and convent, which were built to the designs of Frederick A. Walters incorporating parts of PuginÔÇÖs original buildings.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.