Design for the remodelling of the Royal Opera House, Haymarket, London, incorporating an arcade: perspective
|Architect/Designer||Nash, John (1752-1835)|
|Repton, George Stanley (1786-1858)|
|Artist/Photographer||Repton, George Stanley (1786-1858)|
|Subject||Columns ; Opera houses ; Arcades|
NOTES: The theatre which stood on this site was known by various names as the Queen's, the King's, Her Majesty's, His Majesty's, or the Opera House. It was originally built by Sir John Vanbrugh in 1704ÔÇô1705 and destroyed by fire in 1789. It was rebuilt on a slightly larger site to the designs of Michael Novosielski in 1790ÔÇô1791 and was remodelled in 1816ÔÇô1818 it by John Nash and George Repton. They provided fa+ºades to Charles Street, the Haymarket and Pall Mall and also built the Royal Opera Arcade on the west side. The theatre (but not the surrounding fa+ºades) was again destroyed by fire in 1867 and was rebuilt to the designs of Charles Lee in 1868ÔÇô1869. This theatre and all the surrounding premises designed by Nash and Repton (except the Royal Opera Arcade) were demolished in the 1890s. Part of the site is now occupied by Her MajestyÔÇÖs Theatres (1897 by C. J. Phipps).
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.