Corn Exchange, Mark Lane, London: close-up of the colonnade and iron rib roof after bomb damage
|Architect/Designer||Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)|
|Artist/Photographer||Dell & Wainwright|
|Library Reference||AP385/370 (DWN 8793)|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Bomb sites ; Stone ; Colonnades ; Stock exchanges ; Roofs ; Ruins ; Iron|
NOTES: A third of the City's buildings were destroyed by aerial attack between September 1940 and March 1945. The first Corn Exchange, open to the sky, was built in Mark Lane in 1747. It was partly rebuilt in 1827 and the New Exchange adjoining it was constructed in 1828. The old Exchange was again extended and roofed over in 1850 and William Barlow advised on the design of the iron rib roof. The two Exchanges were amalgamated in 1929 but suffered severe bomb damage in 1941. It was rebuilt on the site of the two former Exchanges and reopened in 1954. The Corn Exchange moved to the Baltic Exchange in 1987.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.