Anglican Church of St Philip and St James, Hodge Hill, Birmingham: the main congregational area being used for youth badminton
|Birmingham School of Architecture
|Baistow, Peter (1941-2013)
|Black and white
|Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
|Recreation ; Brickwork ; Children ; Churches ; Community centres
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 5: 'Religion and Environment' in Architectural Review, vol. 147, 1970 Mar. Commissioned by the Anglican Diocese of Birmingham, this multi-use complex was designed by the Institute for the Study of Worship at Birmingham University and the Live Projects Department of the Birmingham School of Architecture and led by Martin Purdy, project architect. After extensive consultation with the vicar and parishioners, a pre-school nursery, workshop, cinema, day centre for old people, library, lounge, art room, games spaces and bar were included in the final project. The church closed in 2008 when the high cost of repairs to the building was deemed uneconomic.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.