Amorbach Abbey, Amorbach: the wrought-iron choir screen by Markus Gattinger
|Architect/Designer||Gunther, Matthaus (1705-1788)|
|Gattinger, Markus (1713-1753)|
|Library Reference||Valinsky 20170831 Amorbach Abteikirche-9|
|Credit||David Valinsky / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Frescoes ; Decorative plasterwork ; Abbeys ; Screens ; Churches|
NOTES: The abbey was founded in the 8th century, but the majority of the buildings date from the 18th century when the Abteikirche was built (1742-1744), incorporating the two earlier six-storied west towers (12th century). Further extensive construction and decoration was undertaken in the 1780s, including in 1782 the installation of what was at the time the biggest organ in the world. Much of the interior decoration was carried out by members of the Wessobrunner School, a group of Baroque stucco-workers that developed in the Benedictine Wessobrunn Abbey in Bavaria during the 17th century and exerted considerable influence on the art of south Germany in the 18th century. The high altar and ceiling frescoes were painted by Matthaus Gunter between 1742-1747.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.