10 Downing Street, Whiltehall, London: glimpse of the front door
|Architect/Designer||Couse, Kenton (1721-1790)|
|Kent, William (1685?-1748)|
|Artist/Photographer||Smith, Edwin (1912-1971)|
|Library Reference||ESP/LON/410 (ES3962.4)|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Brickwork ; Doors ; Entrances ; Gates ; Decorative ironwork ; Town houses ; Government buildings|
NOTES: This cul-de-sac of plain brick terraced houses was built on the instruction of Sir George Downing, Member of Parliament for Carlisle and later for Morpeth, on the site of the garden of Hampden House in 1682-1684. Number 10, originally three houses, was altered internally by William Kent in 1732-1735 for Sir Robert Walpole, and further by Sir John Soane in 1825. It was completely gutted and new features added under the supervision of Raymond Erith in 1954-1963. Most of the exterior shape and features of Number 10 were created by William Kent in 1735. The Georgian front door and the blackened brick bays are the work of Kenton Couse and was completed in 1775. Number 10 Downing Street is the modern residence of the First Lord of the Treasury and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.